ESM Hockey Club welcomes the support of parents and guardians in ensuring that that all Youth Section members have fun and stay safe while participating in hockey.
All parents should:
- encourage their child to learn the rules of hockey and play within the rules and to respect officials and coaches decisions – no matter what
- encourage their child to respect their coaches and fellow players by listening attentively when instructions are being given and not distracting other players during training
- not use bad language, nor will they harass players, officials, coaches or other spectators
- teach their child to respect the efforts of their opponents, be impartial, consistent, objective and courteous when making decisions
- remember that children learn best by example so they will applaud good plays/performances by both their child’s team and their opponents
- give positive comments that motivate and encourage continued effort and will not criticise the team’s performance after a game
- focus on their child’s efforts and performance – not the score
- thank the coaches, officials and other volunteers who give their time to conduct the event for their child and encourage their child to do so
- ensure their child is wearing appropriate clothing for the weather and correct protective equipment i.e. mouth guards and shin pads
- ensure their child is delivered and collected punctually to all training sessions, games and events.
- respect the rights, dignity and worth of all people involved in the game, regardless of their gender, ability or cultural background
Thank you for helping to make the Club a welcoming and positive environment for all young players to learn effectively and fully enjoy the sport.
Last updated: April 2019